Bulking-up is fine, but you might be surprised by some of the additional benefits that come with lifting weights for women. The normal adult will lose three to eight percent of their muscle mass per decade if they do not exercise, but women are at higher risk as they are more prone to conditions like osteoporosis. Weight training not only combats such conditions, but also helps prevent injury and enhance workouts. If you want to take advantage, look at some of my picks of best weights for women.
Best Weights For Women - Top 8
|1. Neoprene Dumbbell Set||Fitness Republic||BEST PRICE|
|2. Kettlebells||Tone Fitness||BEST PRICE|
|3. Ankle and Wrist Weights||Nordic Lifting||BEST PRICE|
|4. Medicine Ball||AmazonBasics||BEST PRICE|
|5. Ankle Weights||Healthy Model Life||BEST PRICE|
|6. Soft Hand Walking Weights||SPRI||BEST PRICE|
|7. Walking Dumbbells with Handles||Tone Fitness||BEST PRICE|
|8. Hand Shaped Neoprene Dumbbells||Ziyud||BEST PRICE|
1. Neoprene Dumbbell Set by Fitness Republic
This product is ideal if you’re looking to buy multiple dumbbells, as you can select from a set of three, five, or eight. The neoprene coating allows for a comfortable anti-slip grip while the hexagonal shape ensures they don’t roll around when you place them on the floor.
- Comfortable neoprene coating
- Can be stacked for easy storage
- One year manufacturer’s warranty
- Does not come with a stand
2. Kettlebells by Tone Fitness
Tone Fitness’ kettlebells can be bought individually or as a set of three, packaged with a DVD training program in your order. The kettlebells have a sleek design and a comfortable grip for any size hands. They are the perfect arm weights for women seeking an alternative to dumbbells.
- Comfortable grip
- Can be purchased individually or as a set
- Exercise chart and DVD included
- Higher learning curve
3. Ankle and Wrist Weights by Nordic Lifting
These are a great pair of arm and leg weights for women looking to strengthen their upper and lower body. The reinforced stitching and neoprene padding ensure they are safe and comfortable to wear while adjustable straps can be tightened to your liking via a large Velcro pad. The weights also have a reflective trim which is perfect if you’re running outside or in the dark.
- Can be worn on ankles and wrists
- Reflective trim for outdoor use
- One year manufacturer’s warranty
- Resistance cannot be modified
4. Medicine Ball by AmazonBasics
Unlike dumbbells and kettlebells, medicine balls gain points for versatility as they can be thrown in the air or against a wall. This medicine ball by AmazonBasics comes in five different weights. Its sturdy construction makes it suitable for bouncing against hard surfaces and a textured finish provides a superior grip.
- Comes in various weights
- Textured finish
- Sturdy construction for bouncing
- Not designed for ball slams
5. Ankle Weights by Healthy Model Life
Healthy Model Life offers a great pair of ankle weights for women looking to slim their thighs and tone their glutes. The set comes in four difficulty levels, from one pound all they way up to eight pounds per set. Though fine for anyone, they are specifically designed with women in mind, boasting a compact and lightweight look that lets you take them wherever.
- Designed for women
- Comes in different weights
- Lifetime replacement guarantee
- Only designed for ankles
6. Soft Hand Walking Weights by SPRI
This product by SPRI fits perfectly in your hands, making it useful as a dumbbell or walking weight. The elastic hand straps eliminate over-gripping and hand fatigue, and can even strap to feet if you’d like to perform lower-body exercises. Their soft texture adds another layer of safety for accidental drops.
- Elastic straps reduce hand fatigue
- Great for arms or feet
- Can be used as dumbbells or walking weights
- Outer coating may wear over time
7. Walking Dumbbells with Handles by Tone Fitness
These weights can be used to perform regular dumbbell exercises, or activities like walking and jogging. The neoprene coating ensures a firm grip at all times, no matter what weight you choose–from one to three pounds. You don’t have to worry if your hands are too small or large as the weights have been designed to accommodate all sizes.
- Neoprene coating for better grip
- Suitable for all hand sizes
- Maximum of three pounds
8. Ergonomic Neoprene Dumbbells by Ziyud
Ziyud’s weights have been ergonomically designed to fit your hands comfortably. The original neoprene design allows for a firm grip without strain, and are ideal for exercises such as walking, jogging, and aerobics. Every weight-level comes in a different color and there are five different options to choose from.
- Ergonomic design reduces hand fatigue
- Neoprene coating for enhanced grip
- Five colors to select from
- Ideal for light-weight exercises only
Understanding Reps and Rest Times
When working out with a new set of weights, the first step is choosing a training program that fits your specific needs. Learn more about reps and rest time below.
Choosing the Right Intensity
Working too hard can tire and strain muscles, while an overly light workout won’t have an impact at all. Make sure to choose the right rep range from the start.
- One to five reps if your goal is building strength and power
- Six to twelve reps for building equal amounts of strength and endurance
- Twelve to twenty if you want to build muscular endurance
When to Rest
A healthy workout will include between 60 to 90 seconds of rest between each set but feel free to rest more when you are first starting out. This allows the lactic acid in your muscles to dissipate, relieving that burning sensation that comes with an intense session.
Choose your Training Style
There are a few ways to get started with weightlifting or strength training. Whether you want to use any of the free weights listed above, use a machine at the gym, or rely on your own body mass, time and dedication is the path to lasting results.
Push-ups, sit-ups, and other calisthenic exercises are the simplest and most hassle-free ways to build a custom workout. As a beginner, your body-weight should provide enough resistance to increase your muscular strength and endurance.
Safe and effective, weight machines offer an additional advantage, as they balance the weights for you. They are a great way of building strength, and working toward free weights.
Dumbbells, barbells, and smaller hand weights are a great way to build strength and power over time. However, make sure to avoid using heavier sets until you have enough experience. If you’re ever unsure, ask a professional.
Other Important Tips When Exercising
Regardless of your age, there are a few precautions to take into consideration before you start exercising. Try to keep in mind all of the tips listed below:
- Check with your doctor before starting a new workout routine
- Make sure to hydrate your body
- If you’re experiencing any pain, stop and consult a professional
- Spend a few minutes warming up before you exercise
- If you lack motivation, try working out with a friend or personal trainer
If you’re looking for a way to unwind after a tough workout, try a quality massage roller to take the edge off in minutes.
Considering the Benefits of Weights for Women
Count all the benefits that weights for women can offer! By improving muscle strength and stamina, they can protect against a range of injuries and diseases. In addition, starting a new workout can help anyone stay on track for long-term dieting. Just remember to start simple and work your way up. This way, the risk of injury is minimized and you can continue into the foreseeable future.