Small enough to hold in your hands yet heavy enough to challenge you, medicine balls are a great way to introduce variety and intensity to your workouts. Unlike dumbbells, they allow for greater versatility and range of motion, allowing you to challenge your core, enhance your balance, and improve your hand-eye coordination. In this article, I’ll be sharing some of the best medicine ball products and exercises to start with.
Best Medicine Balls - Top 14
|1. Dual Grip Medicine Ball||SPRI||BEST PRICE|
|2. Soft Medicine Ball||J/Fit||BEST PRICE|
|3. Slam Ball with Easy-Grip||TRX||BEST PRICE|
|4. Sturdy Rubber Medicine Ball||Valeo||BEST PRICE|
|5. Fingertip Medicine Ball||Empower||BEST PRICE|
|6. Leather Medicine Ball||Champion Sports||BEST PRICE|
|7. Strength and Conditioning Ball||Rep Fitness||BEST PRICE|
|8. Slam Medicine Ball||Valor||BEST PRICE|
|9. Soft Wall Ball||Titan Fitness||BEST PRICE|
|10. Dual-Grip Medicine Ball||Body Solid Tools||BEST PRICE|
|11. Soft Medicine Ball||Garage Fit||BEST PRICE|
|12. Medicine Ball||AmazonBasics||BEST PRICE|
|13. Medicine Ball||Cap Barbell||BEST PRICE|
|14. Soft Toning Medicine Ball||Yes4All||BEST PRICE|
1. Dual Grip Medicine Ball by SPRI
This dual-hand grip ball by SPRI is highly functional and versatile. The handles offer a comfortable, secure, and safe grip, which is ideal for many rotational exercises. Alternatively, you can ignore the handles to perform regular medicine ball exercises, or hold the ball with one hand to perform kettlebell-style workouts.
- Useful for medicine ball or kettlebell-style exercises
- Exercise guide included
- Dual-hand grip
- Premium price
2. Soft Medicine Ball by J/Fit
This medicine ball is designed for both regular and heavy-duty exercises, with a triple-stitched soft covering that allows it to absorb impact. However when throwing against a wall, do so gently, as this ball is not intended for slamming purposes. The ball comes in eight different weights, all with the same fourteen-inch diameter.
- Absorbs impact
- Heavy-duty covering
- Comes in various weights
- Cannot be used for slamming exercises
3. Slam Ball with Easy-Grip by TRX
TRX’s slam ball is designed to improve your power and strength. Its thick durable rubber shell makes it ideal for high-intensity slam exercises. The ball features a rugged surface that provides easy gripping for your hands. It’s available in a variety of weights—from as little as six lbs to as high as 50 lbs.
- Designed for slam exercises
- Textured grip
- Ultra-thick and durable shell
- No exercise manual included
4. Sturdy Rubber Medicine Ball by Valeo
Valeo’s medicine ball has a sturdy rubber construction which makes it suitable for bouncing, while a textured finish ensures you always have a firm grip. You also receive an exercise chart to guide you through some basic workouts. The ball is available in two-pound increments, ranging from four to twelve lbs.
- Suitable for bouncing
- Textured finish for firm grip
- Exercise chart included
- Some customers report it didn’t last long
5. Fingertip Medicine Ball by Empower
Empower’s medicine ball is made from durable plastic and has comfortable fingertip grips which ensure that it’s easier to grab, swing, or toss. The ball can be purchased in three different weights. A workout DVD comes with your order and features the popular fitness expert, Gin Miller.
- Fingertip grips for better control
- Workout DVD included
- Available in three weights
- Material inside can move around during use
6. Leather Medicine Ball by Champion Sports
Champion Sports’ medicine ball is made from synthetic leather, ensuring maximum grip and control. Its thick outer layer provides great durability to ensure long-term use. It is available in a wide variety of weights, and is ideal for low to medium intensity exercises.
- Synthetic leather for enhanced grip
- Thick outer layer ensures durability
- Available in eight weights
- May slip if your hands become sweaty
7. Strength and Conditioning Ball by Rep Fitness
This medicine ball by Rep Fitness has been constructed and tested for perfection, featuring a thick double layer of stitching for durability. Its grippy synthetic leather ensures you have a firm hold of the ball, which is thoroughly tested for weight distribution and balance.
- Twelve weights available
- Thoroughly tested for quality
- Synthetic leather offers a firm grip
- No handles means limited versatility
8. Slam Medicine Ball by Valor
Valor’s medicine balls are designed for high-intensity slam exercises. All sizes come in a matte black color and a dense outer coating to prevent blowouts during intense training. If their pressure drops, you can easily inflate them with a bicycle pump.
- Designed for slamming exercises
- Dense outer coating for durability
- Can be inflated with a bicycle pump
- Doesn’t bounce very well
9. Soft Wall Ball by Titan Fitness
Titan’s soft medicine ball is ideal for developing your core and improving cardiovascular endurance. The tight double stitching ensures durability, while either side of the ball features a loop which can be used for storage purposes. The ball comes in five color-coded weight options, so you can vary the intensity of your workouts at a glance.
- Thick double stitching for durability
- Color-coded for easy identification
- Loops on either side of the stitching for easy storage
- Some customers report it wasn’t completely spherical
10. Dual-Grip Medicine Ball by Body Solid Tools
This medicine ball has durable rubber-grip handles for comfort and freedom of movement so you can use it for both single and double-handed exercises. The solid core ensures that weight is static and evenly distributed in any of the available weights, from six to twenty lbs.
- Dual-grip handles
- Solid core ensures even weight distribution
- Available in eight different weights
- May be too large for smaller hands
11. Soft Medicine Ball by Garage Fit
Garage Fit’s product features a unique leather surface that is designed to enhance your grip, and its impact-absorbing build minimizes the risk of injury in case you miss a catch. It boasts a stylish design that comes with loops on either side of the stitching, making it perfect for storage purposes.
- Impact-absorbing build
- Loops on either side for storage
- High-grip leather texture
- Grip can loosen with sweaty hands
12. Medicine Ball by AmazonBasics
This medicine ball by AmazonBasics is a cost-friendly option that is ideal for low to medium intensity exercises. Its sturdy rubber construction allows it to bounce off hard surfaces while the textured finish provides a superior grip for your hands. The ball comes in five different weights, but only goes as high as twelve lbs.
- Textured finish provides excellent grip
- Available in multiple weights
- The highest weight is only twelve lbs
13. Tacky Grip Medicine Ball by Cap Barbell
Cap Barbell’s product offers an outer layer that is composed of a tacky rubber texture for easy grip. The ball is suitable for bouncing but not for slamming exercises. Since this medicine ball is designed for low to medium intensity exercises, it’s highest weight is twelve lbs. It can be purchased in six different colors, and comes with a 30-day warranty.
- Tacky rubber texture for easy grip
- Suitable for bouncing
- 30 day warranty
- Highest weight is only twelve lbs
14. Soft Toning Medicine Ball by Yes4All
Whether in Pilates, yoga, or rehabilitation, this flexible medicine ball is perfect for toning your upper body. Its ergonomic design lets it fit comfortably in your hands. Furthermore, its non-burst construction offers a durable surface for any exercise. This ball is ideal for low-intensity exercises, as it only goes up to eight lbs.
- Soft, non-burst surface
- PVC texture for firm and comfortable grip
- Six month warranty and 60-day return policy
- Only suitable for low-intensity exercises
Best Medicine Ball Features to Look for
There are many features to look for when selecting a medicine ball. Below are the most important ones to consider.
Different medicine balls will have different materials and surface textures, each with its own advantages and disadvantages. Choose the one that fits your needs best.
- Thermoplastic–lighter, and most suitable for toning
- Rubber–offers the best grip
- Leather–ideal for a soft, smooth feel
Medicine balls can be as light as two lbs and as heavy as 70 lbs. The right choice for you will be one that can offer a challenge, without straining your muscles. When in doubt, tend toward lower weights and work your way up.
If you’re looking for a low-intensity way to warm-up for your medicine ball workout, try one of these top wrist weights.
Lower-weighted medicine balls will usually be filled with rubber while heavier ones will have an iron core. Iron sand is one common material, though it may move around and cause uneven weight distribution. If possible, try to gain first-hand experience with different types of medicine balls before making your purchase.
Bouncing or Slamming
Medicine ball workouts come in two main varieties. Bouncing is a low-intensity movement, whereas slamming tends to be higher intensity. Usually, a medicine ball is suitable for one or the other.
Whichever style you choose, make sure to always train for success. If you experience any pain, take advantage of the best muscle pain or arthritis creams and make sure to consult your doctor.
Finding the Best Medicine Ball for Your Needs
Before you purchase a medicine ball, decide how you intend to personalize your training. Whether you want a medicine ball that is perfect for bouncing or slamming, features a firm grip or a durable core, the best option for you is only a click away. Above all, make sure you exercise correctly, pace yourself, and stay safe.